Friday, February 25, 2005

Big Parties

I think I'm too ambitious, sometimes. All the time! Today Atticus turned four weeks old. On Sunday we're having a big party for him - his "Mun Yit". The chinese celebrate the first month of their child's life with a party - "mun yit" is literally "one month". I'm not sure about all the customs that go along with it, though. I think it's 'cause you're not supposed to go out before the kid is that old. I can understand that - it's been bloody difficult sometimes!

But actually, overall he is a pretty good baby. He's not sleeping through the night yet, but he's very easy to settle at night - just wakes for a quick feed and then goes straight back to sleep. The days are another matter! I just can't put him down! Well, I exaggerate. Today he hasn't been too bad. The last couple of days he'd wake and cry every time I tried to lay him down. Even having my folks next door didn't help. My father is a wonder at getting young babies to sleep - and even he was having trouble.

Anyway, I digress. I guess the point was that I'm trying to organise to have this big gathering of family and friends (we're expecting around 70 people) and I can't even get organised enough to go shopping! I look around the house and see the millions of things which need doing - folding/sorting laundry, washing the dishes, getting rid of the ant PLAGUE in the kitchen...

No comments: