Friday, January 21, 2005

Cloth nappies

I've just spent the last two days researching cloth nappies. Dan and I had our first antenatal refresher course on Monday and both picked up a brochure from a place called Modern Nappies. It was most educational. Most people's idea of cloth nappies are the typical terry-towelling squares which are big an bulky as well as cheap PVC pants/covers that you put over them. They smell, they leak and give the kid nappy rash. And you've got to soak them in lot of horrible chemicals and it's a lot of work. That was my impression, anyway. Nappy services take away a lot of the washing, but there's still the leaking problem.

Well, not any more. Now people use Hemp and Fleece fabrics which are really absorbent (the former) and water-resistant (the latter)... there's this new fabric called PUL as well which is water-proof but still breathable! And you can buy or make fitted nappies, so they're more like disposables in that you don't need to fold them in a particular way... They also say that they don't leak, especially compared to disposables, which definitely do leak (especially the cheaper brands). My head was in a spin after finding out all the possibilities out there. A good place to start reading is All About Nappies. (Note: these links are all Aussie-centric).

I'm quite keen to start using them (when the baby finally arrives, that is... why isn't he/she here yet??). I did a bunch of looking and I've decided to get some Tots Bots terry nappies, and some Hemp ones. Just a few to try them out - they're not a cheap option. About $25 per nappy! Although you'd make your money back soon enough.

Anyway, that's what I wanted to say about Cloth Nappies. I'm a convert and I haven't even received my packages yet. I felt really bad for using disposables with my first kid, so this makes me feel a lot happier!

1 comment:

mandalj said...

Hi Jen,

Remember me? Congratulations on your beautiful second son! Great news! I bumped into Chris 2 weeks ago and saw Abigail too.

I just wanted to say that I've been using Tots Bots (bought from Canada when they still shipped over here - much cheaper!) for 9 months now and they're great! You've made a good choice and I'm thrilled there's someone else willing to go to the effort of washing etc. We don't have smells, leaks or much nappy rash - it's all true!

Manda