Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Fairy lights

One of the things I like best about Christmas is the excuse for fairy lights. Whilst I'm not a huge fan of the streets completely lit up (mainly because of the waste of electricity), I'm partial to a few little specks of light and colour here and there.

Last year I bought a bunch of fairy lights cheap at Ikea in the post-Xmas sales, and couldn't resist picking up a few more recently. I strung them up around the dining room on the weekend as we had our friends over for our annual celebration. It was a daytime thing so their effect was not as pronounced.

But then last night after I'd gotten the kids to bed (Dan was out) I went downstairs, turned them all on again, turned off all the lights and sat in the glow of the lights. It was just beautiful. I could have sat like that all night, except that I fell asleep for a little while. I tried to take a picture, but if didn't work out. Just use your imagination :)

Today at work I was inspired by last night's delight and found some lights that I'd had stashed on a shelf. Pinned them up on my (still sparse) notice board (need to finish settling in to my office one day!) turned off the office lights and smiled.


It's probably not the best light to work from... might be an OH&S issue. I'm thinking of bringing more lights in tomorrow. There's only three days of work left in the year. I think we can survive it :)

No comments: