Friday, February 09, 2007

Last day of work for a while!

Hooray! Today's my last day of work for the year - barring things like coming in for meetings and upgrading the undergraduate computer lab which I've got scheduled for June/July (erk - long story). I'm starting maternity leave yet again.

I was actually meant to be at work for another week but this week I have suffered such extreme levels of fatigue and exhaustion that I've turned into a bit of a pin-cushion giving blood samples to doctors. Earlier in the week I was so tired that my legs kept buckling underneath me when I walked and I could barely keep my eyes open. I took some days off and slept and slept and slept... probably was awake for 6 out of 48 hours! And yet, all the test results have come back normal so far. Don't have gestational diabetes. Don't have pre-eclampsia. Iron levels are good. Some people say it's a symptom of "having two kids, working full time and being over 8 months pregnant" but it feels so much more tiring than that.

So yesterday at my check-up at the hospital, the doctors told me to stop work, and rest. That's after they took some more blood for one more test, that is. Last night I decided that today would be my last day. It seems to have had a positive affect on me. I've actually managed to stay awake for most of the afternoon, so far. Almost ready for a nap, though. Thank goodness for the comfy chair in my office!

And now there's three more weeks before bub is technically due. I'm not really sure if I want her to come early or not now as I am really looking forward to having some quiet time at home to build up the energy reserves for the trying times ahead. And I feel like sewing (quilting), amazingly! Well, time will tell.

1 comment:

Shanathalas said...

Sorry to hear you're feeling so tired. It sure sounds like you need a rest. Try to get as much relaxation as possible before the bub comes along.