Monday, December 19, 2005

Hey, Hey, We're The Wiggles

I took Dante to go and see The Wiggles live on stage at the Entertainment Centre today. Wow, it was fun!

I picked him up early from childcare, which was exciting enough in itself, then told him that I had a surprise for him. All the other kids were bouncing up and down and begging to know what the surprise was as well. It was cool :) THE POWER! (maniacal laugh ensues.)

Dan picked us up and took us into town and I told Dante where we were going while we were in the car (I was running late, as usual). We got out at Chinatown and I had to restrain Dante from running over the light rail tracks. Inside the Entertainment Centre were hundreds of over-excited young children with Wiggles balloons, light sticks, glowing cups, Wiggles t-shirts, Dorothy tails and anythings else Wiggles-related. The atmosphere was incredible. We took our seats and after about five minutes the lights dimmed and the Wiggly Dancers came onto the stage. The screams were deafening! Then they appeared - four men in coloured skivvies riding in a big plastic red car. Parents cheered as well when they saw that Greg was there. I heard on the news last week that Greg had been sick and was in hospital for an hernia operation, and there'd be a fill-in for the live shows. But he made a special effort to appear for his home crowd! It was very nice of him.

The show went for about an hour and a half, I think. There was lots of activity throughout the theatre - both on stage and off. It shows how well they know their audience when the lights were only slightly dimmed around the seats. Lots of kids were pretty wrecked by the end - even Dante, who was one of the older kids, was getting a bit tired. We wandered down to the floor afterwards (he wanted to see the stage) and I saw one woman pointing to her child prostrate on some chairs, fast asleep, lamenting "Gee, I'm glad I spent that money on tickets...". Poor thing! They weren't cheap!

The Wiggles themselves put on a great show. Boy, they have a lot of energy. No wonder Jeff keeps falling asleep (although I'm sure he just has narcolepsy. He should see a doctor - there are pills you can take for that). Greg tried hard to restrain himself, but Anthony more than made up for him.

Overall, it was a great experience. I'm glad I took the boy. I think he was just the right age for this sort of thing - not too old to feel self-conscious dancing and singing, but old enough to stay awake throughout the whole show! We had a fun time, even though we didn't have the best seats (at the front of the back section, to the left side of the stage). Perhaps in a few years I'll take Atticus (if The Wiggles are still doing live shows by then)!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

No, there are not "pills you take" for narcolepsy. Its actually a disabling disease which does not just involve short dreamy naps. There actually have been no drugs created for this and only a few exihisting meds to aid in the control of the less severe cases. If you'd like some additional correct information on your comment see: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/narcolepsy/DS00345/DSECTION=2

Jen said...

Thanks for the comment and info about this disease. I note on the URL that you provided, under "Treatment" that stimulants are often prescribed.

The reason I commented about "pills" is because during my Uni days I had an acquaintance who had narcolepsy. He had pills to take, which he often shared around amongst his friends!