Monday, August 25, 2008

I love...

Anne at pinsandthimbles shared a writing exercise she was given recently.

Anyway, I thought you might be interested in a writing exercise we did in Barbara Samuel’s workshop. I’m not so sure if it’s just good to set you writing, or if it’s good to send you living, or both, but I’m sharing the idea because it made me happy. It still makes me happy.

Sit down — now, if you can — and write down 25 things you love. Specific things, not ‘I love my cat’ but ‘I love the way my cat smells when he’s sleepy.’ I struggled over the last five or ten, but that was a good thing because I had to think a little harder and be a little bit more true. I’m so glad I finished it. I think I understand myself better, and maybe I understand what I want to write about, too.

I think it's a wonderful idea. So here's mine. It wasn't overly easy to think of them all but as Anne said, it certainly made me happy.

  • I love the sound of my children's laughter.
  • I love the feel of strong arms around me.
  • I love the smell in the air before it rains.
  • I love to go outside on a clear dark night and look at the stars.
  • I love the light from the full moon.
  • I love the way some songs pierce you right inside.
  • I love scones with jam and fresh cream.
  • I love modern, bright, colourful fabric.
  • I love the feeling of satisfaction from getting something difficult done.
  • I love it when the kitchen is clean - no dirty dishes anywhere!
  • I love the smell of ironing, and the iron.
  • I love red shoes (I wish I had more).
  • I love chest hair (!!).
  • I love the feel of the shower on my back.
  • I love walking around Sydney Harbour with the sunlight glinting off the water.
  • I love holding newborn babies.
  • I love the sound of rain on a tin roof, especially if I'm snuggled up in bed under a warm quilt.
  • I love it when my children cooperate.
  • I love being cozy in my warmy-warm dressing gown.
  • I love thinking about a good book, even months after I've read it.
  • I love hearing my son play piano.
  • I love when my big brother, whom I always looked up to, asks me for advice!
  • I love the time of day when all the children are asleep and the time is my own.
  • I love sitting in the warmth of the sun on a sunny winter's day.
  • I love complete silence.

3 comments:

Shanathalas said...

Sorry Jen, but I've stolen your idea. My loves are here:
http://shanathalas.blogspot.com/2008/08/i-love.html

Anonymous said...

Some of yours really should be on mine, too ... I wonder how long I can make it?

Anonymous said...

Might have to give this exercise a try sometime soon..enjoyed your list immensely.