Sunday, January 29, 2006

Xin Nian Kuai Le

Happy Chinese New Year!

Chinese Lanterns
Image shamelessly stolen from triin

I'm sitting down watching the tennis and allowing myself a little bit of relaxation after a very busy weekend. The big family CNY/Atti's birthday party went really well yesterday. There was a tonne of delicious food and lots of kids running around having a good time. I set up a couple of paddling pools for the younger kids and the older ones (including my 60+ Uncle, who is a big kid too) had water fights. The rest of us lolled about in the shade and filled our guts with my dad's yummy satay and my mother's mango pudding and tiramisu. It was fantastic to have the family together again - like old times! Except the kids running around are our children, not us. Some of the babies had a bit of trouble sleeping with all the excitement (and the heat) but hopefully they will be okay. Atticus was wonderful - happy to be passed around and then went off to sleep quietly when the time came for his nap. Dante wore his Jedi suit and exuberantly entertained everyone (and anyone that came into earshot) with Star Wars stories.

Today's barbie was relaxed and easy, with just our friends and a special visit from my cousin Silva and his wide Sook Hahn (visiting from Thursday Island). Dante was a lot more subdued and very happy when we announced that the party was not only a celebration of Atti's birthday (although he wasn't as happy about that part) but also to celebrate that Dante is starting school this week! Later in the day I got him to change into his uniform to show everyone - he was really pleased by all the compliments that he received! Atticus was a charming boy (again). He loved his birthday cake (which my mother made and decorated - a monkey sitting on a block, next to a pine tree which was made by Dante), and was quite keen to try eating the lollies on it. And slept superbly at nap time. I can't believe he was so sick last week. I'm so relieved that he's better.

No comments: