Friday, January 25, 2008

What's happening with the tennis?

Of all the sports out there, one which I follow a little is the tennis. More specifically the Australian Open. I don't really play the sport but my family does and my father and brothers are always well into it, talking about it, watching it on TV. It also reminds me of the final days of my pregnancy with Atticus... sitting on the couch feeling large and uncomfortable in the summer heat.

Anyway, this year's tournament has really astonished me. It seems that all the top players are being kicked out early, by relatively unknown opponents! I just don't know what's going on with the world.

Tonight was another prime example. Unbelievably, Roger Federer lost the semi-final to Djokovic, whom I'd never heard of before this tournament. Roger Federer. World number 1 for about a billion years who barely loses sets, let alone matches! Last night, Nadal (no. 2) was beaten by an unseeded player, Jo-Wilfried Tsonga (also new to me). He was quite a spunk and elicitied a tonne of media attention. Wow.

Perhaps this is indicative of the current world atmosphere. We just got a new Prime Minister. America will get a new President this year. A new tennis number one, too? Heh.

No comments: