Wednesday, December 20, 2006

That "new car" smell


The first thing we did this morning was to go to the bank and get a whopping big bank cheque. Ack! We had to scrounge bits of money from all our accounts, but managed to get enough together. The bank had promised to give us some more money a couple of weeks ago, but it still hasn't come through. Typical.

The second thing I did was get insurance quotes. I was so shocked to find out that our suburb seems to have a "high risk" category - my colleague's suburb was $350 cheaper. It does certainly pay to shop around for car insurance - I ended up paying just less than $1000, whereas the highest quote I got was for $1800 (this is the annual premium for comprehensive insurance). Lawks a lawdy!

Then, at 3 o'clock I picked up Dante from school, picked up Atticus and drove home. Dropped off the small boy with my folks, picked up Dan (who was at home after a work Christmas party) and drove to the car dealership to collect our brand new car.

Dante was super-excited. When we got there, the salesman took us out to have a look at it - D exclaimed, "This is the best car ever!" over and over again. And climbed all over it, exploring all the nooks and crannies. Martin, the salesman, was a bit nervous at that, telling Dante, "Don't put your shoes on the seats! Don't scratch the car!" It was all pretty amusing.

I drove it home with Dante in the back while poor Dan was relegated to driving home the old car. It was a little nerve-wracking. We drove home in peak hour traffic, and I wasn't used to the brakes on the car. But we made it without a single incident.

Now Dan's taken it out for a spin, having not had a chance before. I think he used the excuse "We need more milk", but I can't really be sure.

No comments: