Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Gettin' fit (or trying to)

About six weeks or so ago, I started going to the gym every Tuesday lunch time. It's a big thing for me... I first joined the gym about ten or more years ago and went twice, I believe. And then again about three or four years ago. I went to about three classes and then stopped.

This is the first time in my life that I've actually regularly worked out (not counting my dragonboat racing days). I'm so impressed with my persistence! I think it helps that I don't go alone. Dan and a friend from work come along as well, and it's great. We encourage each other, egg each other on, compete with each other :) We spend some time on each of the different fitness machines - treadmill, stepper-thing, rowing, cycling.

The best thing is that I think it's actually working. I think I'm getting fitter. I've been trying to work on my running. And rowing. I set some small goals and am bettering them each week. I won't embarrass myself by writing them here, but just know that they are reasonable and achievable while not being too easy! I'm definitely feeling today's effects tonight... my poor aching legs!

I've been thinking about trying to go more than once a week but time is short these days... I'll keep you posted!

No comments: