Wednesday, August 15, 2007

A bit of relief

My parents came back from their latest overseas jaunt this morning. Yay! I was looking forward to seeing them, but was a lot more relaxed about it compared to last time... went next door and welcomed them home but left them alone for most of the day to recover from the uncomfortable overnight flight. (They didn't sleep much and have both got a bit of tummy trouble, plus suffering from being back in the cold weather!)

I always surprise myself when they go away. When they start planning the trip I start getting nervous and worry, "How will I ever cope?" but then they leave and I cope. Not only cope, but actually manage! I feel so much more confident in my parenting abilities, although there certainly are times when I really wish they were here.

This time I feel like things are even better. Elora is now sleeping in her bed and the crying has virtually stopped... the controlled crying has done the trick, as I knew it would, however difficult the process. For two nights in a row we have had all three children in bed by 8:30pm, and are amazed by it... last night I almost felt at a loose end. Almost. I also cooked proper dinners several times while my folks were away (instead of getting takeaway or just having pasta) and we ate the leftovers from those meals a few times, too. I survived having my entire family over for a day. We didn't run out of clean clothes. I managed to write blog posts. Even got out of the house for a little bit.

Yeah, I feel like I'm finally doing things properly, being a "proper" parent. After six and a half years and three children! I know I've still got a long way to go, especially as Dante gets older and harder to handle... (I'll talk more about that another time) but I think I'm on the right path.

No comments: