Wednesday, July 02, 2008

To dye or not to dye

I've been noticing a fair few more grey hairs lately. I've had them since I was about 16 or so, but just a couple of hairs here or there which I usually pull out as soon as I find them.

But these days the number of greys has increased a fair bit. I'm getting to a point where I have to consider the possibility of dying it black. Not quite at that time yet but it will come soon.

I don't know what to do. Once you start dying hair you've got to keep it up, don't you? Regular visits to the hairdresser or show roots. Or, should I just stop yanking them out and let my hair change naturally?

I guess I've got a little bit of time to think about it some more. I'm sure my hair dresser will have an opinion! What would you do?

3 comments:

Shanathalas said...

Well, since I was not born a natural redhead, I have been dying my hair red since I was 12. It does take its toll. I have just now started to find the odd white hair. They don't show up much cause my natural colour is a dark mousey-blonde;practically grey. But they're all going to get coloured red together.

As someone who doesn't colour their hair, I can see why you have a dilemma. However, grey on dark Asian hair is much more obvious. The good thing is that if you don't want to change your colour but just cover up the grey, there are a lot of at-home semi-permanent products that will save you the cost of a hair salon, but don't fry your hair. You might try Loreal Casting. It covers incidental grey, but won't drastically change your colour. I liked the shine it gave my hair but found none of their red shades bright enough for me.

Then again, depending how the white is coming in, you might leave it. You could get a "Rogue" from X-Men thing happening ;)

Hope this helps.

Jen said...

Thanks for the advice, Shan. I wish it was coming up in a "cool" way, but unfortunately not. Just the typical random spread all over the head.

I guess the main thing is to stop pulling them out if I want to dye them!

Mark said...

Don't worry jen, it is a Wong thing. I've had greys, funnily enough, since I was 16 too... I wonder what will happen to Ben when he reaches 16.
We have a tendency to go grey(ish) early, but tend to keep our hair...