Monday, February 20, 2006

Great tunes!

A couple of friends at work brought the music of Maxence Cyrin to my attention on Friday last week.

From AmbientMusicGuide.com:
The test, perhaps, of a club track's ultimate musical worth is to take
it off the dancefloor and play it in other environments. Or in the case
of Frenchman and electronica aficionado Maxence Cyrin, try playing it on
the piano. Yes, the piano.

Modern Rhapsodies is a wild idea brilliantly executed. Cyrin's musical
instincts are razor sharp, having being honed during his time as a
player and/or composer of forms as diverse as techno, classical music
and easy listening pop-jazz. He hasn't attempted coverage of all the
major electronica and dance music styles; rather he plays solo piano
interpretations of some of the tunes that have most moved and inspired
him.

I've always loved the piano. No, wait. I haven't always loved it. I hated it when I was a kid having to practise. Actually, no. I didn't hate the piano. It was the practising I hated. I actually like the piano. I even got a personal loan and bought one when I was 22 even though I was only renting and it was a major pain to move (and we moved six times in six years). Anyway, I have an exceptional preference for music with strong piano melodies and riffs. Like Ben Lee - Cigarettes Will Kill You and Coldplay - Clocks and (meep! embarassingly) Vanessa Carlton - A Thousand Miles (there goes my street cred).

So when Ben told me about this guy doing a cover of Massive's Unfinished Sympathy, I had to hear it. He found out the name of the artist and we got a copy of his album as soon as we could. I've been listening to it ALL WEEKEND (and all day today). I've passed it to my brother Tim who loves piano music even more than I do (and can actually play stuff - I never said that I could play the piano... well, I can play a little bit. I got up to seventh grade in the AMEB system but never got around to completing it and getting grade eight. I've always been meaning to get back to it, but time is too scarce these days. Besides, I'm still not fond of practising!), and anyone else who will listen, including you. If you like piano stuff and modern music, I highly recommend Maxence Cyrin. I hope he releases some more of the same one day!

P.S. If you know of some piano-y artists that I might like, please let me know! I'm always looking for new music to listen to.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm looking for the sheet music of Maxence Cyrin so, if you know where to find it...
Other good piano music:
Yann Tiersen
Wim Mertens (struggle for pleasure, 4 mains...)

Koci said...

I've just recently discovered Maxence Cyrin's "Novo Piano" and am completely in love with his cover of "No Cars Go". I'd love to learn how to play it!