Wednesday, February 22, 2006

In bed with no dinner!

I feel like the world's most terrible mum. While I sit here typing and eating ice cream my eldest son, worn out from learning and playing all day, is fast asleep in his bed having had no dinner! How bad am I?

Well, it wasn't all my fault. We went out this evening straight after work/childcare/aftercare to the Art Gallery attending the launch of a book about Dan's dad (who was an artist). It was a special event. The author is a close friend of Dan's family and this is the first biography of him that's ever been written. Lots and lots of people were there and we had to go and see everyone. Dante was great, except that his idea of being "quiet" during the speeches was to talk in a whisper. Atticus was good too. No crying, but a lot of clinging on to Mama (i.e. me) and being shy. Actually I got a number of comments on how good the kids were being. I guess they were both tired from long days, mid week. There were bread sticks and crackers with dip, and abundant champagne. I really should have fed the kids before we went but we were in a mad rush and only just got there on time.


So, of course they fell asleep in the car on the way home (arrived about half past 8!). I carried Dante upstairs and put him to bed, still in his school uniform and with an empty tummy. I hope he'll sleep alright tonight, and I'll make sure he has a big breakfast in the morning. Anyyway, he actually ate the entire contents of his lunchbox (for once!) so he should be right. Atticus had some baby food (from a jar - but he didn't mind it) at the event and went to bed without too much of a fight.

Dan's still out - he's having dinner with all the important people from the book launch. Lucky man!

In other, more pleasant news, I put in my letter to the Head of School (at work) asking if I can work part-time! Wow, I feel so much better now that it's done, as well as the news that he has already said an unofficial "yes". Hooray!

No comments: