Sunday, February 12, 2006

Illness galore, and a party

So, the peach thing was fun, for a while. Until Atticus broke out in hives all over his body! Not as bad as the New Year thing, thankfully. Teach me to let him eat unwashed fruit!

Yesterday the dragon boat races were held at Darling Harbour. I really wanted to go and support my team but Atticus developed a fever, and everyone knows what happens when he gets fevers (well, the last two times). So we just went to Grandma's place for the afternoon. There's an amazing children's bookshop in Rozelle called Reading Matters which is, unfortunately, closing down. They're currently got 25% off all stock. I wish I'd discovered it earlier and given them more custom. We bought a few things from there, including the most delightful ABC book: Alphabet: A child's first ABC by Alison Jay. It's such a fantastic shop. If something like that existed when I was a kid I think I would have definitely spent all my pocket money instead of storing it away in a tin. It's a bit like the book shop in the Meg Ryan film with Tom Hanks about the book shops... umm... that's not very helpful. I think it's called "You've Got Mail" but I'm not entirely certain about that. I could look it up on IMDb but that involves effort.

In the evening we went to my brother's place for dinner (I figured that if Atti was going to be sick, the best place for it would be at the home of a GP). My nephew turns 12 on Tuesday (Happy Birthday Ben!) and wanted a nice family gathering. It was a little crazy, as it always is when the kids get together. It's amazing to think that he's so big already. Just started high school. Will probably be as tall as, if not taller than, me by his next birthday. Wow. He's growing up so fast! I think I've been feeling a lot of that lately... the whole "time flies" phenomenon. I guess it's just because of all the milestones we've passed recently! Ah, age. It has certainly creeps up on you.

No comments: