Friday, March 24, 2006

On top of the world

We climbed the Harbour Bridge this morning. Yippee!

Dan had bought a couple of gift certificates for me for Christmas, 2004. However I was 8 months pregnant at the time and unable to climb. A year went by and they were about to expire, so I got them extended for another 3 months. Then March came up, so I thought we'd better use them! We booked the climb, and both took a day off work. Dante was at school and Atticus was at home with my folks. It was a daytime climb, 11:15am (wow, they take groups of 12 people up every TEN minutes, all day long! What a business!).

It took us three hours from walking in the door, to walking out the door, including getting into safety gear and all the rest of it. But it was great! I was expecting it to be quite strenuous, but it wasn't. There was even a 74 year old man (two weeks older than the bridge itself) in our group (he reminded me of Cliff Young who won the Sydney-Melbourne ultra marathon in 1983, aged 61!). This guy, Michael, had done 137 marathons in his life. He put the rest of us to shame.

Anyway, a highly enjoyable experience was had by us. Something I definitely recommend to all. The only downside was the cost of the thing, especially if you want a keepsake of yourself on top of the bridge. You get a group photo with the entry price, but other photos cost a fortune. About $20 each! Bit of a rip off, if you ask me. We got them anyway, though. We had $40 credit from the gift certificates. I'll post them as soon as I get around to it.

No comments: