Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Happy cat and cupcakes

Tancred and Evelyn came over for dinner last night. They're going overseas at the end of the week so we had them over for one last farewell. Dante was so excited when I told him they were coming... "They're my favourite guests!", he said. All afternoon he get bugging me, "Are they here yet?", "When are they coming?". So, when they did arrive at 6pm, knocking on the back door, he yelled and screamed and carried on like it was 1999. Atticus, on the other hand, was absolutely terrified by the commotion and the strange people walking in our door and cried and cried and cried. I was in the kitchen where he couldn't see me, and when he finally found me he clawed at my legs calling out "bo bo" (Chinese for "carry", I think). Poor kid - he's been a little out of sorts the last few days.


Anyway, we had a fine dinner of Dan's speciality dish - "Chicken Wings in Tar" (a concoction of hoisin sauce, honey and soy), and T&E brought the most delicious cupcakes bought from a place called Cupcakes on Pitt. I wish I'd taken a photo of them before we carved them up, but I found this one on flickr instead which is a pretty good substitute. They bought 6 cakes - Jaffa, Dark Chocolate, Tiramisu, Lemon Meringue, White Chocolate and Honeycomb. Hmm-mmm. Delicious. We were a bit mean and waited until Dante was in the bath before we got them out, so when he came out to say "Goodnight" his eyes nearly popped out of his head. I promised him that we'd save some for him for tomorrow. He reluctantly shuffled off to bed. And we scoffed the yummy sweets (but don't worry, we left some for Dante).


The guys used to live with us for a couple of months when they first came back from living in the UK. That was before Atticus came along (although they were the first non-family people to know that we were having him). And our cat got to know them very well, especially since their room was the only Dante-free room in the house, and had a comfy blanket and a good heater. She loved having them here. We were (and still are) too busy to pay a whole lot of attention to her, and they always had a pat for our poor old moggy. Anyway, I didn't think cats really remembered people, but she certainly seemed to remember Evelyn! So much so that she demanded a spot on her lap, and forced her head into Evelyn's hand for patting. Even gave her a couple of bites when the patting wasn't as forthcoming. She was a very happy cat. This was a very nice picture of them both together.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jen,

It was great seeing you all again. Sorry about the shock when we arrived, but I suppose its good to see that Dante is an abberation and all normal children are terrified of me.

And it was lovely having Squishy remember me so fondly :)

Say hi to Dante and Dan for me, and Atticus if he's forgiven me.