Sunday, May 14, 2006

Two parties in one weekend

Hooray! It's Mother's Day today, and Dan's birthday tomorrow. So we had busy weekend of partying.

Our friend Bec, who lives with Dan's sister, Bec, turns 30 today so she and Dan had a party last night at her place. I made a big plate of chocolate crackles (since I just happened to have the ingredients) including a giant one for the birthday girl (about 15cm diameter). We put Atticus down for his afternoon nap a bit late so that he'd be okay to stay up for the party, and ended up actually having to wake him - I suspect that he might have slept through if we'd let him. Poor Dante fell asleep in the car about 5 minutes before we got there but thankfully woke up when we brought him inside, and cheered up with some "buzzy" drink. Atticus was terribly shy and wouldn't leave my side at all (and I couldn't put him down for the first hour) but slowly warmed up. He enjoyed dancing with his father and even played peek-a-boo with one of our friends, Vee. Dante, of course, spent the entire party out in the backyard chatting up the pretty young ladies who were Auntie Bec's friends from Uni (who are doing a Bachelor of Early Childhood Teaching and like kids... that was lucky!).

I brought the kids home around 10pm and Dan stayed to party on. I just managed to get home, suffering a nasty asthma attack (I think it was the smoke from the backyard woodfire heater) and fell asleep as soon as the kids were in bed. Phew! And I only had one drink (a "Cowboy" - butterscotch schnapps and Baileys. Yum.) over two hours, at that!

Dan made it home some time in the early morning - he had a fun time with the gang! Not such a fun time in the morning, though, the poor man. Lucky for us the late night meant that the kids slept in, too. When Dante woke up he came running in to our room and called out to me: "Mama, don't wake up yet. You stay in bed." then ran downstairs and brought up my presents... a fan that he made in school, "Jane Eyre" by Charlotte Bronte (which I've been meaning to read) and the Cat Bus ("Nekobasu") from My Neighbour Totoro - a plush version!


The boys and I had a nice quiet morning while we let Daddy have a sleep-in and then Grandma came over. My mother had organised a big family lunch next door with all her children and grandkids. It was crowded and noisy, but that's what happens when you get so many people together, and 5 kids aged under 6 (Atticus slept through pretty much all of it!). The food was, of course, amazingly delicious, especially my mother-in-law's beetroot salad. Yum. I couldn't get enough of it.

Anyway, we are now, as one would expect, utterly exhausted. And it's back to work/school tomorrow. But I'm happy - I've got a cat bus :)

No comments: