Sunday, November 25, 2007

Fruit salad, yummy yummy

Today we celebrated our belated Aussie thanksgiving. Much like last year except with TWO enormous turkeys this time! Yummo.

We brought our huge fruit salad, as per usual. Instead of going to the local fruit shop I went to Sydney's biggest produce market with my mother early yesterday morning.

Oh how I love the markets! I have fond memories of accompanying my mother when I was little - with the enticement of having a doner kebab for breakfast/early lunch. And it was just as terrific now as then. Aisles and aisles of stalls filled with vast amounts of fruit and vegetables. Plus the fish market down at one end as well as a deli section and the odd kebab van, still there after all these years. I wish I had brought my camera with me. So many colours! And the smells! Delicious.

The part I love best is the "exotic" section. Well, not so exotic to some, but new and interesting to me. That's the Fijian/Indian section with their baby eggplants and fresh okra and I don't know what else! This time of year is great because all the summer fruits are coming in (hmm... cherries, white nectarines) so the variety is huge. I loved the stalls selling just mushrooms, too. So many types! All fresh and undoubtedly yummy.

I tried not to go too overboard, but wasn't overly successful. Who can resist strawberries at $1/punnet? Trouble is, you need to buy an entire tray to get them at that price. I think we're doing well - we only have 7 left (out of 15).

So, yeah, now we're swamped with fruit. Our fridges (yes, we have two) are full and that's after Thanksgiving. The challenge to eat it all before it goes bad is on. I'd say we're doing all right. My boys (and the girl now) lurrv their fruit. They're going to be getting heaps of it this week. Yay!

1 comment:

A Sydney Foodie said...

Love the markets too! I have never made it to ones at flemington though. SMH growers markets - yep, North Sydney Produce - Yep, Orange Grove Organic - yep. And of course Paddy's in Chinatown.